Jack Dawson… Penniless artist who wins a ticket onto Titanic in 1912, attends a first class dinner, develops a taste for the finer things in life, pockets the Heart of the Ocean, survives the sinking, pawns the diamond, spends the following ten years building his wealth and in 1922 moves to West Egg as Jay Gatsby… Millionaire with a shady past and fear of swimming pools.
Tofu Tacos with guacamole and black bean & corn salsa.
These blew me AWAY! They were fairly easy, it just took some time to prep the ingredients but it was SO worth it!
One package of tofu.
- Cut tofu into about 8 pieces, set on a paper towel on a plate, top with more paper towels & set something heavy on it. (I used a glass 8x8 dish.) Let sit for about 15-20 mins, replace paper towels when fully wet. You’ll want to soak out the extra water.
While letting the tofu sit use the time to make the guacamole & salsa.
- 2 avocados
- 1 onion, finely chopped (I used about 1/4 of a large onion)
- garlic (I used powder but you can use fresh garlic)
- 1 tomato
- Juice from one lime
- salt to taste
- Peel & mash avocados. Stir in remainder of ingredients. Put in the refrigeration to let the flavors blend.
Black bean & corn salsa
- 1 jar of salsa
- Mix in small amounts of black beans & corn until desired amount. (I used about 3/4 can of black beans & about a cup of corn)
Taco seasoning (can be edited to taste: if you want more of a kick add more chili powder & cumin.)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Cut tofu into bite sized pieces
- Place tofu into a large bowl
- Drizzle with olive oil & stir
- Toss in about half of the taco seasoning, mix, then add remainder of seasoning
- Add olive oil to a pan & warm to mid-high
- Cook tofu pieces for about 15-20 mins, stir frequently.
This makes enough tofu for about 4-6 tacos depending on how much tofu you want in each taco.
- Toast tortillas in a dry skillet
- Add tofu, salsa, guacamole & lettuce. (feel free to customize however you like!)